Blog monetization is one of the most discussed topics in the online world.
After all who wouldn’t want to make some money while blogging in their free-time. And if you are ready to work from home, then you need to be prepared to treat your website like a business.
Do you know what the first step to the whole monetization process is? To have a plan!
If you are into blogging, you can make a living from it. And you can actually earn good money. The only thing you probably need are some hints to get you started.
The topic of this post?
Blog monetization tips!
In this article I cover what are the most important steps that you need to know when planning to make money online.
1. Get Into Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is whenever you promote some sort of product or a service and in exchange you are paid a percentage of its price once you make a sale.
To make it work you either sign-up for one of the services I overviewed below and then look for a product, or you directly browse a product’s website and look for a page for affiliates.
Whichever method you choose, once you are done, you are given a special link, which you place within an article or use in the form of a banner.
As of now there are a few big, trustworthy affiliate networks that are worth the time.
I suggest and I’m using ShareASale, which is one of the biggest affiliate marketplace for digital products. It offers a huge variety of stuff to promote, ranging from all kinds of software, tools and plugins to eBooks, guides and tutorials on a huge variety of topics.
When you complete your registration, you set up your search parameters and start looking for something that suits your niche and topics.
If you have a product in mind, the simplest thing you could do is to go to that product’s official page and look for “Affiliates Sign-Up”, “Affiliate Login”, “Affiliate Program” or something like that. Once you find a link, click on it to sign-up for the respective program.
NOTE: you should only promote products you have actually tried, tested and that you find helpful.
2. Write In-Depth Product Reviews
The first thing you can probably think of is including a banner image in your sidebar. And with every affiliate program, come a ton of horizontal, vertical, small and big banners.
But are banners really effective?
Unfortunately not as much as we’d like to.
Now that advertisements are the main way for pretty much all sites on the internet to monetize their presence, visitors are developing the so-called ad-blindness – since they’ve seen similar banners and ad placements all over the web, they have learned to ignore them.
So if you really want to make money blogging, you should embrace the alternative – product reviews.
- Unlike a banner on the sidebar, writing a thorough review of the product out of which you’d like to earn some commissions is a sure-fire way to prove you’ve actually tried it.
- Unlike a banner product reviews are useful for the visitors, since they consist of how-to guides, descriptions of how it all works and an opinion.
- And unlike a banner, a product review is a blog post, which can rank in the search engines and which people can share on the social networks.
So what should a review post consist of?
Here’s a list of the more important components:
- Overview of the product’s features
- Why the product is useful
- The things you don’t like
- A lot of images to supplement your writing
- An offer if possible
- A call to action at the end
3. Make Sure to Create a Rolodex
A rolodex is a static page where you include various affiliate links to products you are using along with a short description to each of the listed products.
My rolodex page can be found under the “Resources” link in the menu below the header.
Of course the idea is to get as much of the blog’s visitors to find their way to the rolodex.
If you didn’t check the page I linked to above, here are the main elements you need to include:
- A short introduction – it needs to be short so that you don’t bore people before they reach the essence.
- Disclosure – it’s best if you notify people that you have actually included affiliate links. Make sure to point out that isn’t going to cost them extra.
- The product’s logo – best would be to make all the same size (e.g. 125 x 125). You should also place an affiliate link for those who decide to hover over the logo.
- Description – why you are using it, how it compares to similar products and if you’ve written a review post, make sure to link to it as well.
- Button-like links – Using a button makes the links look more obvious. That way people instantly know they should click. With Genesis Framework it’s simple to add those kind of buttons. It looks something like this:
Basically the rolodex in terms becomes one of your biggest blog monetization assets, so as I mentioned, it’s worth promoting it within your blog as much as possible.
I really hope you enjoyed the advice I shared in the previous paragraphs and if so, please take a minute to share the post with your friends!
They might happen to find it useful too.
Now I’d like to hear your thoughts!
What are your favorite blog monetization techniques?
Let me hear what you think, thanks!